An Ethical Approach for Everyone
Compliance and ethics programs are essential to effective organizational operations. Whether an enterprise is a startup, large multinational corporation, or regional nonprofit, instilling compliant and ethical behavior is not just about complying with minimum regulatory standards or implementing an optional risk mitigation tool. Robust compliance and ethics programs can increase profitability and performance through more trusting work environments and stakeholder relationships; confidence in operations and decision-making; increased customer retention and loyalty; and the avoidance of the many negative consequences of noncompliant or unethical behavior.
Understanding Compliance Challenges
Ethics and compliance is a boardroom issue, with regulatory enforcement strengthening worldwide in tandem with opportunities, sourcing and production. US authorities are actively enforcing the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) globally and other jurisdictions are scaling up enforcement of a broad range of compliance-related legislation. In this climate, managing ethics and compliance risks has become a priority for any globally connected organization.
Bawn brings in-depth knowledge of the political, regulatory and operational environments across the world. The guidance we provide our clients is practical and focused on desired outcomes. We help organizations understand where ethics and compliance challenges may emerge and how to manage and overcome those challenges.
An Integrated Approach
Bawn’s key differentiator in the field of ethics and compliance consulting is our integrated approach: we apply the lessons learned from our other complimentary disciplines (intelligence analysis, crisis management, system integration and complex investigations) to help clients manage ethics and compliance risks in a way that is tailored to their specific needs.
Building Effective Compliance Strategies
How we help you:
- Advisory support on the most appropriate structure for in-house compliance and investigative functions; training your professionals who work in those roles.
- Conducting ethics and compliance risk assessments that focus on the realities of your external operating environment and the most appropriate compliance controls. Assessments span all areas of ethics and compliance, including bribery, fraud, corruption, money laundering and human rights. We examine a range of company ethics and integrity activities, including:
- Corporate code of ethics and business conduct
- Ethics training and education programs
- Corporate communications and integrity messaging
- Board of Directors’ participation
- “Hotline” and other employee reporting mechanisms
- Investigative procedures
- Internal controls
- Rewards and sanctions
- Performance Management Systems
- Reviewing company compliance policies and procedures and their implementation. We benchmark against internationally recognized best practices and ensure consistency across an organization. We examine and benchmark programs against the best practices of similar industries, and identify ways to improve program effectiveness.
- Using forensic and data analytics techniques to identify weaknesses in compliance controls and provide recommendations to enhance those controls.
- Designing and delivering engaging and effective ethics, compliance and crisis training workshops. We help create an ethically sound company culture and a solid understanding of compliance that ensures appropriate responses to compliance challenges.
- Supporting our clients in developing resistance strategies to effectively deal with corrupt demands and other extortive situations, always with a focus on business continuity.
- Providing insight and helping organisations proactively manage changes in enforcement trends and political developments that affect global governance standards.